2013-01-18

Einstein on the Catholic Church

"Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks... Only the Catholic Church protested against the Hitlerian onslaught on liberty. Up till then I had not been interested in the Church, but today I feel a great admiration for the Church, which alone has had the courage to struggle for spiritual truth and moral liberty."

- Albert Einstein, Time magazine, 23rd December, 1940 p. 38


1 comment:

Don Rorschach said...

As I recall, Einstein commented that the Universe was created by God as it could not have happened by chance!