2011-02-01

Opinions

On occasion I read the blog at WDTPRS. While skimming an article today I came across the following comment. (Emphasis belongs to the weblog's owner, Fr. John Zuhlsdorf.)

I am in the second year of Diaconate formation, but am not yet ordained, nor instituted as an Acolyte. My pastor delegates me to purify the chalices after Mass because no deacon is present. [Indeed?]
Our parish priest is 74 years old, and this is his fifth and final Mass of the weekend. To force [?] him to purify the eight cups used during the Mass would be an undue burden, in my opinion. [Your opinion in this is one thing, for the sake of conversation. I counts not a whit for practice, of course. You don't get to decide what the Church's laws are. you get to obey them.] I have been trained regarding the revision posted here denying EMHCs purification. I have a deep, abiding understanding of the sacred nature of the task of purification and do so with extreme reverence. I also teach others about the purpose behind reserving purification for only specially trained persons. [Does the law say "specifically trained persons" or priests, deacons and acolytes?]
That said, I find it absurd to imagine that what I have been delegated to do is wrong in the eyes of God. I invite others to charitably address my position, however. Peace be to you… [I will address it. Follow the Church's law. This is a matter that concerns how the Blessed Sacrament is treated. This also concerns the role and identity of laity and of the ordained.]

Sometimes holding a personal opinion has little purpose or value. (Yes, I realize this is coming from someone posting on a weblog.)

No comments: