2014-03-03

Please forgive me...

For if you will forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will forgive you also your offences. (Matthew 6:14).

For many Catholics, Lent has is already underway. Eastern Catholics refer to today as "Clean Monday". Liturgically, Clean Monday and thus Lent itself, begins on the preceding night with Forgiveness Vespers, which culminates with the Ceremony of Mutual Forgiveness, at which all present ask one another for forgiveness. The emphasis on forgiveness helps the faithful to go deeper than change of diet and application of ecclesiastical regulation. (The idea is not to avoid these practices, but to avoid hypocrisy.)

Forgiveness, being central to our Faith prepares us to go before our Lord.

With the beginning of Lent upon us, I ask God and you for the forgiveness of all my offenses conscious and unconscious, voluntary and involuntary. I am sorry for all that I did, and all that I did not do, in failing to fulfill my responsibility to holiness and Christ-like behavior in my conversations, friendships, and duties toward God and you.

Please forgive me, I am a sinner.

No comments: